Friday 28 June 2013

Why I stopped Amaechi’s visitors –Rivers CP

The Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Mbu Joseph Mbu, has given reason for stopping the people who were coming to pay solidarity visit to the state Governor, Chibuike Amaechi, on Tuesday. Read more
According to him, the information at his disposal was that some miscreants were coming to Port Harcourt on public protest, and he had to direct his men to stop them.
He also accused the media of over-blowing the political crisis in the state to destroy his friendly relationship with the state governor.
Mbu stated this yesterday while briefing journalists at the police headquarters at Moscow Road, Port Harcourt on the security breakthrough recorded by the command between March and June this year.
The police boss said Governor Amaechi later called and told him that the people, who Daily Sun gathered were from Orashi region, were coming to pay solidarity visit to him (Amaechi), and he ordered his men to allow them to go.
“We got security report on that day (that was on Tuesday). We got it by 1.00 am on Tuesday that some elements were mobilized to come to Port Harcourt for a public protest and we had to stop them.  And his Excellency called me and I said yes.
And he told me that they are coming on solidarity visit to the Government House. And, I said that was not what I was meant to understand.
“I said, if they are coming for solidarity visit to the Government House, I said no problem.  I called my officers; I called area commanders to allow them to come. I knew they came and left.”
He said the governor was his friend and they had been interacting in a friendly manner, stating that Amaechi was the chief executive officer of the state, while he (Mbu) was the governor’s second-in-command.
“The issue of the governor leading a protest, on that day (Tuesday), the governor and myself, we spoke jokingly in a very friendly manner. But, like I said earlier, it is you, the journalists that are orchestrating the issue. That is what is happening.
Nobody is above the law in Nigeria. Nobody is above the law of the land. His Excellency is the governor of the state. I am just his second-in-command. Even, yesterday (Wednesday), we spoke for 30 minutes.”

Culled from The Sun newspaper
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts