Tuesday 25 June 2013

Kidnappers of Ejigbo LCDA chairman meet waterloo


• Police kill seven, Indian victim rescued
Seven out of the nine suspected kidnappers who abducted Chairman of Ejigbo Local Government Development Area, Mr. Kehinde Bamgbetan recently were yesterday shot dead by the police.
Two other suspects have been arrested and are currently facing interrogation at the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) Ikeja, Lagos.
Daily Sun gathered that the leader of the gang was a Chinese national whose mother is a Nigerian. The suspects met their waterloo after they had abducted an Indian and the police stormed their hideouts. The police were said to have condoned off the kidnappers camp in Agbara area of Ogun State for over 72 hours before the gun battle ensued between them and the law enforcement agents.
After the smoke settled, even of the hoodlums were dead, two arrested while the Indian, Vivek Changrani was rescued alive and unhurt. One of the suspects Uchenna, 25, identified the deceased leader, a Chinese as his master.
Items recovered from the suspects include four AK 47 rifles, 28 AK 47 magazines fully loaded, 1000 rounds of AK 47 live ammunition, Army uniforms, one Honda CRV Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) with registration number, ABC 106 AE and a Nissan Pathfinder marked AGL 730 AZ. The suspect, Uchenna said, “The dead Chinese, Nnonso Benjamin Glona is my master.
I know he was a kidnapper but he was telling people that he deals on drugs. I was serving him. He has a restaurant in Ghana but he used to operate in Nigeria. “When they kidnapped the Ejigbo Local Government chairman, he ran down to Ghana with his gang. Four of them are among the dead ones. His cousins from his mother’s side is among them.
“I only came back from Ghana two days ago with my master’s wife, Jennifer and his kids. He instructed me to bring them to Nigeria to procure international passports for them. We were at home when they brought the Indian. He instructed me to keep an eye on the abducted Indian. “It was while I was keeping watch on the Indian that I started hearing gun shots.
I knew it was the police and I heard China dishing out order that the policemen must die. So, it was a battle. I now asked the Indian and my Oga’s family to lie down so that they would not be hurt. I thank God that I played my role very well because, none of them was hurt.
All of us were arrested and the Indian rescued. “I swear to God, I didn’t go with them to kidnap people but China used to give me money. I am like a slave to him. Anything he asked me to do, I do. He promise to settle me with big money.
He is a confirmed kidnapper, I knew but I am ordinary messenger. On whether he told him about the kidnap of Ejigbo chairman he said, “he used to tell me everything except the ransom paid. I know it is because I am not his gang member but a slave.
The police should praise me for keeping the Indian alive because, he panicked and wanted to run into the cross fire but I prevented him. The abducted Indian Changrani told how he was kidnapped at gunpoint by the hoodlums.
“I am grateful to God and the police for saving me from the kidnappers. I was abducted 12.00am in Ikoyi. I was driven round and round by the hoodlums. “They were threatening to kill me if I involved the police but I was shocked that few hours after I was abducted and taken to their enclave, I started hearing gun shots. It was a cross firing that lasted fir over 40 minutes.
I feared for my life, but the police did a perfect job, as I was not hurt. I now respect Nigeria Police, they are too much.” The State Commissioner of Police who paraded the suspects and the dead hoodlums said based on painstaking follow up, surveillance and tracking of Ghana based Nigerian kidnappers who ran to Ghana after kidnapping the Ejigbo Local Government Chairman, Hon. Kehinde Bamgbetan, and a Federal High Court Judge, and other notable individuals in Lagos, the officer in charge of SARS, Abba Kyari led a team of crack detectives to a suburb at Agbara in Ogun State, where the kidnappers have their camp. Mr. Manko said after 72 hours of waiting in ambush position, Kyari and his team stormed the house after being convinced that all the kidnappers had gathered.
“It was around 3.00am and the robbers engaged Kyari and his men in a gun battle but seven out of the kidnappers were fatally wound ed and two of them were arrested while one of their victims, Vivek Changrani was rescued.”
He warned criminals to leave Lagos as they would continue to meet their doom if they continue with their nefarious act.” I swear I mean it. When I told the kidnappers that I would get them, people thought I was joking. My command will never allow criminals especially armed robbers and kidnappers to escape justice, Manko vowed.
Culled from The Sun newspaper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts