Wednesday 15 April 2015

I have been sexually harassed- Winnie Lazarus



Upcoming actress, Winnie Lazarus dreamt of becoming a lawyer as a child but later changed her aspiration to become an actress due to her love for movies and acting as she grew older. more...

Lazarus says that: “ I started acting five years ago after I finished my degree programme from the University of Lagos where I read Theatre Arts.  Initially, I started as a model and was later introduced to participate in an audition and later I got a role in that movie. 
" I will boldly say yes I'm living my dream because it is something I have always wanted to do though while growing up as a child my dream was to become a lawyer, my parent also wanted me to read Law but when I told them  about the change in plan, it was a tug of war but they finally allowed me to follow my passion for acting.
Before I got to this level where I am now, it was very challenging going from one audition to the other and I wasn't able to get a role. It was very stressful but I thank God for where I am today. I almost let go of being an actress but for the encouragement I got from my friends and family who believed in me that I can make and that has kept me going since then. 
I have featured in over 20 movies and my first movie was Dangerous Act which featured artistes like Oge Okoye, Uche Jumbo and Benedict Johnson among others. Other movies include Fight for Passion, Angelic Mafia, what happen to my dream etc.
The most challenging role was when I played the role of an armed robber. I led the group which was very difficult for me but with the support and encouragement from artistes on set, I was able to do it well to the admiration of all. 
In Nollywood, I have worked with artistes like Oge Okoye, Uche jumbo, Benedict Johnson, Echaria Anunobi, Tonto Dike, Funke Akindele because they are all wonderful artistes and they have been very helpful and fun to be with. They have taught me so many things that I didn't know initially when  I had the opportunity of working with them. I also hope to work with Mercy Johnson and Rita Dominic because they are great actresses. 
Talking about sexual harassment in the industry, Lazarus said: " Yes, I have being harassed. Sexual harassment is everywhere in all the professions. Even in churches it occurs but I believe that nobody can force you to do what you don't want to do. For me, I cannot have sex with anybody in exchange for a role but it all depends on the way the individual handles it.

The story was published in The Sun newspaper on Wednesday, April 15, 2015 on page 52

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts