Wednesday 13 January 2016

My works are expressive- Abraham Ogunlende



Abraham Ogunlende is a young  multi-talented artiste that is carving a niche for himself in the arts industry in Nigeria.more ...

Popularly called Painterabe, is a graduate of Marketing from University of Philadephia in United States of America is a painter,   musician, actor  and fashion designer.  As a painter, no matter what form of art that I express myself with, I always try to paint a picture in people’s minds.
Abraham recently had his solo exhibition titled ‘Bloom’ at Eko Hotels and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos, where he exhibited 20 works in acrylic and spray paint.  They are my spontaneous style of painting which incorporate leaves, colours and women. For me, working on nude women, is very expressive because I love women and it is something that I have always worked on women. In Nigeria, it is not so receptive, but as an artist, I have to break barriers but its inside of me trying to say, I can do it.
Abraham noted that ‘Bloom’ exhibition was an idea that he came up with early last year. ‘Bloom’ means to prosper and to be at the high point of one’s career. There was something that I thought  of initially myself to bloom but it became something I wanted for the culture and for every people that I know for them to bloom in their lives is what I put at the forefront of their minds that they can also bloom.  
Some of the titles of my works especially the series, ‘Women’, which I titled ‘Sierra Aura’ is basically about  women while their lifestyle.  When you see a woman, you will notice the things about her.
While the other series, ‘Leaves’ connotes  a garden where people can plant leaves which grows and people can have something to do in the garden. With these works, people are able to understand the perspective where I am coming  from.
For me, arts in Nigeria is changing positively because people are becoming more receptive to arts. They are buying more artworks and Nigerians are becoming more art inclined. With the help of social media, everything is becoming more amplified with the exposure out there and I have benefited from it.
“ I express emotions  and feeling and I’m very honest and genuine. I come with a positive message as well as my own personal style which isn’t like anyone else’s. The fact that I call myself Painter Abe but I am not limited to the branches of painting alone. I am very artistic and that is why I want to explore other  forms of art where I can incorporate painting into it.  
My first exhibition was in 2013 at TerraKulture . This is my second exhibition. I took a two-year break to develop my style. At first, it was still very amateur but now I have my style which is growing and that is where bloom comes in.
My first show was entitled ‘Culture Shock’ and it was all about someone coming from outside experiencing culture shock from Nigeria from a foreigner’s perspective of the culture and now with Bloom, you have experienced the culture now and this is what I want for the culture, for people to bloom. So when you come and experience the show. It will register in your mind consciously or sub-consciously.
The freedom like I said differs. In Nigeria, some people will like paintings of naked women and think who is this artist that paints naked women but in developed countries, they don’t even think about it. It is all about breaking barriers between art and freedom.
In the next five years, I want people to know PainterAbe. I want my name to be a household name in Nigeria. I am here to stay and hope to take my art all around the country. The exhibition will also take place in Abuja. It is exciting because people in Abuja will get a chance to experience my works.   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts